English at Copeland Road.
Our English leaders are Mrs Murray (Writing, Grammar, Punctuation, Spelling, Speaking and Listening) and Miss Spenceley (Reading, Phonics Speaking and Listening).
Our English governors are Mr Dalglish and Mrs Davison
Children at Copeland Road are taught English every day. In Reception and Key Stage 1 the focus of teaching is on early reading skills and phonics. We use Read Write Inc to teach phonics and reading. Our reading books are linked to Read Write Inc and these are used in school and at home. Writing is based on our class texts. We look at a range of different genres and try our best to use lots of exciting vocabulary in our writing. Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling is taught discretely in their own lessons but also as part of our writing lessons.
When children leave Copeland Road Primary we would like them to be able to:
- Our Reading Intent at Copeland Road Primary School is to build a curriculum where our pupils develop a love for reading and leave Copeland Road reading with accuracy and fluency ensuring pupils have the reading strategies imbedded to become life long readers.
- Pupils are encouraged to read widely across both fiction and non-fiction to gain knowledge of themselves and across the curriculum. Pupils will develop their comprehension skills within each year groups using consistent comprehension strategies throughout their time at Copeland Road Primary.
- Pupils will have had the opportunity to write at length in all writing genres covered up to Key Stage 2.
- Use high-quality texts to support their own writing.
- Understand the importance of editing and reviewing their own writing.
- Know and understand the grammatical features covered in the National Curriculum and understand how to use these correctly.
- Enjoy writing – be able to think about how to ‘hook’ the reader and understand how their writing should change when thinking about the audience that they are writing for.
The long term plan for English is below as well as the National Curriculum. There may be changes to the long term plan as we continue to recover our curriculum after National lockdowns.
If you require any further information about English at our school please contact Mrs Murray or Miss Spenceley via the school office.